Thursday, April 2, 2009

Social Story for a Speech Therapy Visit

Social stories are a wonderful and fun way to rehearse an event with a child to help them feel comfortable and know what to expect, especially in new situations. The social story below will help any child to prepare for a visit to Clear Speech of Everett. It is especially beneficial for young children with speech delays, children on the autism spectrum, or any child who likes to know what to expect. Please feel free to read this story to your child as often as you both care to before your child's first visit to Clear Speech or even before every speech therapy visit. A link to this social story is provided on the blog sidebar.

When I go to speech therapy, I will learn to communicate with others.
Learning to communicate helps me get what I want.


I don't need to knock or ring the doorbell. I can go right into the therapy house.


I will take off my shoes and leave them in the front room.
I can also leave my coat in the front room if I want.


Sometimes I will wait for the therapist to come and get me
from the front room; other times, she may come to me right away
and I don't wait.


If I am waiting, I can sit, read, or play with toys.


When the therapist comes, she will talk to me.
I can say "Hi" to her, or I can wave my hand.


We will go together to the bathroom sink and wash hands.


Next, we will go to the activity room.

We will play games or do other activites.
Most children like the games or activities very much.
I will learn and have fun at the same time.
When we are finished, my therapist will tell me we are all done.


We will walk to the front room where I can put on my shoes,
and my coat if I have one that day.


My therapist will say "Goodbye" to me.
I can say "Bye" to her, or I can wave my hand.
Therapy was fun. I will come back again soon.

1 comment: